88% of all homes have something that poses a Carbon Monoxide threat.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is a by-product of incomplete combustion of flammable fuels.
Potential Sources of Carbon Monoxide in your home:
- Gas or Oil Furnace
- Gas or Kerosene Space Heater
- Wood Stove
- Attached Garage
- Gas Water Heater
- Gas Appliances
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
Early Warning Signs
High Exposure Levels Can Cause:
- Severe Headaches
- Vision and Hearing impairment
- Mental Confusion
- Breathing difficulties
- Brain Damage
1) Have your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a qualified technician annually.
2) Have your chimney and flue cleaned professionally.
3) Do not run your car in an attached garage.
4) Allow proper ventilation in any room that could pose a Carbon Monoxide threat.
CMHC and Health Canada both have information on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide in homes.