for Cold Climate Housing and much more

Last Updated: , Created: Tuesday, September 14th, 1999

Special Report: Carbon Monoxide

88% of all homes have something that poses a Carbon Monoxide threat.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is a by-product of incomplete combustion of flammable fuels.

Potential Sources of Carbon Monoxide in your home:
- Gas or Oil Furnace
- Gas or Kerosene Space Heater
- Wood Stove
- Fireplace
- Attached Garage
- Gas Water Heater
- Gas Appliances

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
Early Warning Signs
- Headache
- Nausea
- Dizziness
- Fatigue
High Exposure Levels Can Cause:
- Severe Headaches
- Vomiting
- Vision and Hearing impairment
- Mental Confusion
- Convulsions
- Breathing difficulties
- Unconsciousness
- Brain Damage
- Coma
- Death

Prevention
1) Have your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a qualified technician annually.
2) Have your chimney and flue cleaned professionally.
3) Do not run your car in an attached garage.
4) Allow proper ventilation in any room that could pose a Carbon Monoxide threat.

CMHC and Health Canada both have information on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide in homes.

 


Keywords: Alarms, Carbon Monoxide, Environmental, Health, Safety

Article 117