Connect to your favourite weather forecaster and look for the following conditions:
Category: Adhesives Product: ABS & PVC Pipe Cement
Temperature Limitations: Above +4 C (+40 F) and below + 38 C (+100 F)
Rain Limitations: Work on dry pipe and keep dry for 15 minutes.
Wind Limitations: n/a
Humidity Limitations: n/a
Continuous Conditions: Joint is fully cured after 15 minutes.
Comments: ABS and PVC pipe joints can be made quickly under most conditions. Surfaces to be solvent welded must be clean and dry. Hold joint in place for 30 seconds. Do not test pipe or expose to extreme heat or cold for 15 minutes. Use special solvent to join ABS to PVC. Use PVC where the pipe will be left in the sun -- ABS will degrade with exposure to the UV rays from sunlight.
Weather limitations on most renovation products can be located on the WEATHER tab above.
APPLICATION / INSTALLATION DETAILS
The primary working tips for jointing ABS and PVC piping to the elbows are:
- measure carefully as the solvent acts like a lubricant and the pipe will go all the way into the fitting, making your total run shorter than when you did a dry fit;
- cut pipes square and remove burrs;
- put a thin layer of solvent inside the fitting (so you don't push a lot of excess inside the pipe) and a generous coat on the pipe itself (the excess will remain on the outside);
- push in and turn a quarter turn to assure the sealant spreads into a continuous water tight layer;
- if it wants to move, hold it in place for 30 seconds;
- wait 15 minutes before testing with water;
- use ABS solvent for ABS joints, PVC solvent for PVC joints and special ABS/PVC solvent for joining ABS to PVC.
Click here for more details on Plumbing Pipes